Sunday, July 7, 2019

Learn The Things I Forgot To Remember...

I recently started a job in a field that’s new to me.  What I’m finding is that this new, never-been-done-before occupation has tapped into many previous positions from long ago.  


With each new day, there is a task that sends me flying through time - back to other roles I’ve played.  In the here and now, I’m having to learn all the things I forgot to remember from those long-ago situations.


Customer service should come naturally, but I’ve had to tap into those “rise to greet and welcome” instincts that have long been tucked away.  On day two, I was cleaning (while comparing the best supplies for the job), moving furniture and setting up space. This flashed me back to the good old days in the hotel business.


On day three, I was in the communications room, tracing cables to identify proper connections.  This took me to the pre-cellphone, pre-internet days of early 90s hotel computer installation when I had no choice but to figure it out via payphone in whatever small town was hosting me for the moment.  Next, came signage and advertising, which took me forward to the early 2000s and my advertising days. Now, I’m into the present, flexing my PR and community relations muscles.


I can’t know what tomorrow will bring but I know I’m where I’m supposed to be for the moment.  Every day allows me to be back in the company of other people - something my recent work-from-home experience was sorely missing.


Where this will all lead is a mystery but, in the here and now of it, I’m enjoying the walk down Career Memory Lane while I learn the things I forgot to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment