Monday, April 29, 2013

Step AWAY From The Glitter!


I’m not really sure how it happened, but I am raising two Girly Girls.  I’m ill-equipped for this and have no guidebook or frame of reference for the challenge.

I’m a girl, obviously.  I mean I have the parts and all the official paperwork says F rather than M.   I have conditioned myself to wear a bit of make up and appropriately feminine clothes when necessary, but that is about the end of my experience with girlishness.

I was not what you’d call a Tomboy, either, so my discomfort with all things Girl is not some act of rebellion.  I came from a home filled with boys but never tried to be one of them.  I did everything my brothers did and everything my sisters did, too.   We climbed trees and camped and built stuff.  We also cooked and did laundry and took care of one another.  Equally.  My brothers are very nurturing and my sisters are very strong.  So I guess it never actually occurred to me that we were supposed to be different. 

My mother has always been an independent thinker as was her mother before her.  I am a child of the 70s when women proudly wore pants and Gloria Steinem was always in the news.  I grew up understanding history and knowing that (to borrow a phrase from Virginia Slims) “We’ve Come A Long Way, Baby”.   I have always just known that I could do anything or be anything I damn well wanted and don’t think I’ve ever taken that for granted.

At the same time, I’ve just never felt the need to Roar.  Or to Empower myself, worship my inner goddess, or whatever it is Oprah has told us we all need to do.  Female bonding makes me squirm and man-bashing makes me mad.   Certainly, I have many wonderful friends.  Half of them have breasts.  The other half don’t.  I love them equally, fiercely, and individually because they each bring something to my life.

The truth is, I just don’t think there’s anything special about being a girl.  At all.  But there’s also nothing special about being a boy.  We should all be the best human beings we can be, right?  So we are all special just for being. 

Why do we insist on putting girl babies up on glitter-covered pedestals that remove them from the real world as long as possible?  This is where I struggle daily as a mother to two little girls and the Quiet Feminist who resides inside me takes up her sword.  Somehow we went from breaking through glass ceilings to trying to squeeze back into glass slippers.

One only needs to spend two minutes in the baby section of any department store to see what I mean.  Pink onesies scream “Princess” or “Diva” with attitude and are covered in ruffles, glitter and sequins.  Toddler shoes have high heels (!!!) and rhinestones.  Meanwhile, the boys’ section features comfortable cotton jersey and practical shoes meant for active little feet.

As their mother, I can control what they own and what they wear, but only to a point and I can’t really control the steady flow of input into their minds.  Whether I buy them or not, they will see heavily made up dolls in stripperesque clothing and princesses waiting for a man to rescue them while fighting one another for his attention.  They will see classmates wearing those awful shoes.  They will hear pop singers measuring their value on appearance.  And I absolutely can NOT control the glitter.  It’s on EVERYTHING!  Oh, how I hate the glitter.  On pajamas, really?!?  A four year old needs to sparkle while she sleeps!?!?
 
The shows that target my girls feature female characters who are just horrible people.  Backstabbing, manipulative, judgmental, nasty, self-centered and mean while their male counterparts get to be smart, thoughtful, funny and vulnerable.  Even the fairies are bitchy!  The fairies!

All I can do to counter this is to lead by example and teach them that it’s okay for them to be entertained by this stuff as long as they understand that it’s not real.  They are expected to treat everyone the way they hope to be treated and that it’s never okay to be hurtful.  I teach them to mean what they say and say what they mean and to expect the same of others.*   I try to nurture their creativity, their cleverness and their individuality while telling them that they absolutely can be or do anything they put the effort into and that there’s nothing wrong with Pretty, but what matters is what’s behind it. Pretty has nothing to do with their worth.

I know things weren’t perfect back in “my day”, but I sure do long for those days when kids were allowed to just be kids and had never encountered the word “Sexy” or had any concept of salons, manicures and “Girl Time”.  You can get silly and play hard in a spangled tutu, but there’s nothing comfortable about that.

Now, I know some of this is just my own preferences talking.  I get way more satisfaction from painting a wall than from painting my nails.  A “spa day” is my worst nightmare.  And I would much rather have people think I’m smart or funny than think I’m “hot”.  Ick.  If my girls really do take pleasure in those things, that’s fine.  I will do my best to make sure they beautify their hearts and souls before they decorate their bodies.  I will never win the battle against the glitter, but I won’t go down without a fight!

 

 *That’s a whole ‘nuther soapbox about female insecurity, but women, please, stop analyzing every sentence you hear.  “You look nice today” very probably means “I see you today and you look nice.” And not “You look really bad every other day so what’s up with this looking nice thing?”  Stop doing that to yourself!   Don’t go looking for hidden meaning that more than likely just isn’t there.  It’s exhausting!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment